Saturday, August 05, 2006

Love Bites! p.2

It all started so many years ago. I met Max not too long after I started working at a local diner. He was really nice, friendly, in a way that made people open up and laugh easily. He was also a lot older than me. I was 16, he was 26. He had a pregnant girlfiend at the time. I wasn't the kind of girl that people gave a second glance to; I was too "fluffy", and always had my nose stuck in a book. But when he came along, he made me feel like I was worth something. He made me feel special, loved, appreciated. I don't know if it started with me playing the guessing game with his age at work, or if it was after the drive we took to the lake one night after work. But somehow, it started. And I fell, head over heels, in love. He made me promises that I hoped he was going to keep, and we would discuss what we would name our children.

Needless to say, my mother was NOT thrilled with our relationship.

It was a whirlwind couple of months. And then his son was born.

I went by his apartment one summery day in June, and found HER stuff all over the apartment. And a letter that she had written in a notebook to one of her friends, telling about him proposing to her. And that was the end of it. My teenage heart was broken, my dreams for our future together were shattered. I had gone by his place to give him a father's day present; what I got was a broken heart and an ended relationship.

My mom was sure to lay the newspaper on my bed later that summer that had their picture and engagement announcement in it. I was broken, and sure that I would never be "fixed" again. All the antidepressants my mom had the doctor pumping into me would do no good.

And so it was when I began my senior year. I was much more subdued than normal all year. Every so often, I would drive by his apartment and see if his car was there. It never was. I would drive by his parent's house. Occasionally there, but not often. I had to look to my future, rather than wallow in my past, but it wasn't working too well. I missed him terribly.

I looked for him in the bleachers when I graduated, but he wasn't there. I had hoped he might show up, beg my forgiveness, and tell me he loved me. Hah. Not in this lifetime. And so I went aaway, to a good christian college, where I'm sure my famiy hoped that I would meet some good christian boy who would end up becomming a millionaire and making me his wife. Not bloody likely. Instead, I met Drake.

Drake was tall, dark and scary. He also smoked like a chimney, but he wanted me. And with no other prospects in sight, I decided to date him. Late one night, I got a phone call. It was from, of all people, Max! I panicked. I told him I was seeing someone else. And I gave the phone to my roomate; they ended p talking all night. Two days later, Drake and I eloped.

I knew it was wrong. The entire time we were standing there together, saying our vows, a voice inside me was protesting, screaming at me "DON'T DO IT!!!". But I had to do it. I couldn't risk Max breaking my heart again.

And so it was, that I found myself living with Drake in a half-cabin with no heat, running water, or electricity. And Darla, my roomate, shacked up with Max. I was miserable. And as the days wore on and turned into winter, Drake began ignoring me, always having his nose buried in a book.

It was nearly Christmas when we moved in with my mom's boyfriend. Drake was happy, he got electricity for his computer again. I was not so happy; our sex life was non-existant, and I was itching to do something with my life. Drake ended up hooking up with a masochistic girl from Canada on the internet, and spent his nights talking to her. I lay in bed miserable, upset at being ignored.

I found a college in the south that offered me a scholarship. I took it. Drake and I moved down there, and I started classes. I thought to myself, "This could be a new start for us!". Things were okay for a little while, until he got back on the computer and renewed his relationship with the Canadian she-devil. I had come to the conclusion that our life together was over; a quick divorce and we could move on with our lives.

The next week, I found out that I was pregnant.

Drake was VERY pissed off; he didn't want to be a father (never mind the fact that he told me repeatedly during our courtship and early part of our marriage that he wanted to be a father!). He wanted me to get an abortion; I refused. Three days before our one-year anniversary, he left me. I was three months pregnant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home